Donated by John Christenson
Weight: 50 g
Length: 6 cm
These two entwined potato specimens are the Rapunzel of The Dehydrated Food Museum. The potatoes were forgotten by the donor and they shrivelled. When he discovered them, the donor placed them in a paper bag in order to transport them for submission to the museum. Upon removing them from the bag, he discovered that they had sprouted intricate vined locks.
Eating potato sprouts is not recommended because they contain solanine, a toxic compound which, fortunately, tastes bitter. For this and other reasons, museum visitors are asked to refrain from eating the specimens. NEXT >